Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation
Camp Somers Amateur Radio Station
The MASR Amateur Radio Station was finished by the Morris Radio Club and donated to Camp Somers along with its contents in 1992. A complete history is in the workings and this page should be 90% complete by the end of September 2013. If you have any stories or information that you woud like to share or contribute, please submit to the Station Manager.
* July 8, 2008 - last station logbook entry.
* New Radio Station Manager appointed.
* Radio station maintenance, cleaning, inventory, equipment upgrades.
* Station not ready in time for Field Day.
* Replaced old tri-band antenna with new Commet (2/220/440)
* Bought and attached tri-plexer for above tr-iband antenna.
* July 2, 2013 - Back on the air!
* First Radio Merit Badge recipient of the year: James from Troop #141. Makes 9 contacts!
* Registered for JOTA 2013.
* Installed 220 TYT Radio.
* Repair work done by George N2ELC on the exterior to remove rotted wood. Door repaired and new security window installed.
* Updated alarm system.
* Removed UHF Repeater in lieu of a higher location.
* Registered for JOTA 2014.
* George, N2ELC returns to make a secured enclosure for the APRS Weather Station console.
* Installed Davis Weather Instruments equipment in shack and on tower.
* Placed a work order request to remove some trees around the tower to avoid damage.
* Registered for JOTA 2015
* Received some more donations of equipment.
* Installed an inverted V antenna for HF.
* Trying to get a 80' scissor lift or bucket to do maintenance on the antenna.
* Placed a work order request to remove at least three more surrounding trees around the tower to avoid damage.
* Entered the ARRL VHF/UHF Contest.
* Due to a storm, the front 3 radials of the HF Bean antenna were bent when a nearby tree.
* Registered for JOTA 2016.
DISCLAIMER: This web page is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with The Boy Scouts of America, Patriots's Path Council, Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation, Camp Somers, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates. All Boy Scouts of America logos are registered trademarks of The Boy Scouts of America.